Utility Software: 15 Excellent Examples of Utility Software
Slowing down, difficulty in managing files, and unwanted clutter can interfere with the smooth working of a PC. The presence of malware or viruses also affects performance and damages sensitive data. Utility software tools help in resolving such issues and more.
The tools are of different types based on the purpose they are used for. Antivirus, file management, and compression tools are some examples of utility software.
As per the Worldwide PC System Utilities Software sector research, the market was valued at $323.36 million in 2021 and is expected to increase to $646.48 million by 2028. As per Statista, the security software tools alone show a record growth with the market valued at nearly $61 billion in 2021. The high value of the sector shows the impact of the system tools on businesses and individuals.
Here is a detailed guide on the PC utility apps and the list of the best tools present now.
What is Utility software?
Utility software is used to support the infrastructure of a computer. It can help in various ways, like:
- System analysis
The utility software is a part of the system and can provide features that are not part of the OS (operating system). Although the operating system has integrated utility programs, the presence of tools like antivirus program ensure data security plus better performance.
Why do we use utility software?
The chief reasons for using utility software programs are to:
- Enhance the functionality of a system
- Boost the system efficiency by carrying out optimal management of resources
- Focus on the smooth operation of PC components
Which is not utility software?
Utility apps are not utility software. While mobile applications can be utilized by any computer user without experience or technical knowledge, the utility software is technical and requires the operator to be tech-savvy. The two types differ based on factors like:
What is the difference between system software and utility software?
System software works as a platform for other software. It acts as an interface between end operators and the PC hardware. It is a vital component of the system. A few examples include:
- Operating systems
- Disk Formatting and more
Utility software is part of the system program. It functions as an analytic as well as maintenance tool. The tool ensures the computer functions smoothly. Examples include:
- Disk Cleanup
- File management and more
15 Utility Software Tools
For businesses as well as individuals, the right software guarantees efficient and effective functioning. Here are 15 excellent utility software products that assist in keeping a PC running seamlessly.
CCleaner is a PC cleaning software that safeguards your privacy. It is capable of making your computer work faster and in a secure way. Free and paid versions are present. The difference between the two types is in the features available. The paid version can boost the speed, improve battery life, and enhance the hardware and devices in the PC. It works on old and new Mac Pro systems, optimizing them and making the newer systems work fast.
- Automatically analyzes, fixes, and tunes the performance of the PC
- Helps you to control the apps that use the resources of a computer
- Removes browsing data and tracking files to afford more security
- Increases the speed of a PC by nearly 34%
- Helps improve the battery life of the system
- Updates apps to minimize security vulnerability
- Monitors junk files and reaches places that are not easy to access by other similar cleaners
- Clears browser history
- Helps spot issues in the system and identify compatible upgrades
Free/Price: Free version is available. Paid tools require 24 to 50 USD based on the features available.
Iolo system mechanic offers a comprehensive solution to privacy, security, and performance requirements. Although the PC cleaner function is the basic feature, the software adds on aspects like real-time AV and complete data protection. It can remove malware, protect internet surfing as well as credit card information, and supervise passwords.
The outstanding features of this utility tool are:
- Makes the system work faster by speeding up the memory, hard drives, broadband, plus processor
- Gets rid of junk files and clutters that makes the computer slow with the PC cleaner feature
- Guards online passwords plus credit card info using the password manager feature
- Recovers info from misplaced or erased files with the data recovery program
- Blocks as well as removes all modern malware programs using the antivirus characteristic
- Protects internet surfing plus personal info
3. iObit Advanced SystemCare
This utility software scans and clears junk files and other clutter on the PC. It uses AI to learn the optimization habits of the user and the performance status of the PC. This tool fixes the errors and faults in the PC, making it work fast and efficiently. It increases internet browsing speed by boosting bandwidth and helps protect sensitive data in the system.
- Cleans the PC based on the optimization habits of the user
- Makes the firewall work efficiently
- Keeps the frequently used programs updated, reducing vulnerability risk
- Increases RAM as well as disk space by monitoring the performance of the computer in real time
- Keeps web conduct private by wiping digital fingerprints plus tracking data
- Frees up space quickly by identifying and erasing big files
Free/Price: Basic version is free. Pro version for one PC: $16.77/year and three PCs: $19.99/year
4. LSoft Active Partition Manager
The LSoft utility tool is for disk management. It helps in handling logical drives/partitions in storage devices. This utility software works without the need to shut the system down. The tool can create, format, name, or delete partitions quickly. It supports systems like BtrFS, JFS, FAT, XFS, and more.
- Resizes the volume of logical drives
- Converts MBR to GPT format or vice versa
- Edits boot sectors of UFS, FAT, NTFS, and other files as well as synchronizes them
- Does rollback change in partition layout
- Initializes a new disk or repairs a spoiled disk
- Makes many partitions on the USB flash drive
- Reveals info about advanced properties of a logical drive, disk, or partition
5. MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool is a utility software created to improve disk performance. It is a partition manager that can format, resize, or make partitions as per user needs. Businesses and individuals prefer it for its simple and efficient disk partition conversion and hard drive redistribution functions. The improved server operation and high security it offers are key benefits to server users. It works on multiple computers simultaneously.
- Performs many other tasks like conversion between GPT and MBR disks
- Takes care of partition and data recovery processes from damaged or lost files
- Measures the read and write speed of a disk
- Identifies the usage data
- Verifies the file system
- Fixes all types of errors
- Identifies corrupt portions on the drive
- Performs disk cloning to upgrade and backup hard drives
- Retrieves files from places like recycle bin, specific binders, and desktop
- Retrieves files from NTFS, FAT, and exFAT
Free/Price: Basic version is free. Pro: $59 and Pro Platinum: $109
A popular compression software, WinZip is also used for file management. It supports all the main file formats. SafeShare, PDF Express, secure backup, image manager, and duplicate file finder are the main products of this utility software. Businesses and individuals use it daily for sharing files and increasing their productivity.
- Compresses word, PDF, MP3, images, video, and more
- Converts Word to PDF
- Unzips, shares, and manages files
- Provides data protection using secure encryption
- Makes file sharing easy via IM, social media, cloud, and email
- Helps to archive files
Price: Standard Suite $41.24, Pro $64.84, Ultimate $64.84
PeaZip is free software for file compression and archiving. It can open various compressed files and extract them. The software supports Linux, Windows, and macOS. It uses open-source coding using compression tool technology, like 7-zip, PAQ compressors, and more.
- Integrates with any licensing situation easily due to its open-source feature
- Works efficiently across various platforms
- Supports more than 200 archive setups
- Has valid encoding and two-factor verification protection
- Exports GUI tasks in the form of command scripts
The efficient and secure file compression software, WinRAR is used by more than 500 million people worldwide. It is easy to share via email and comes with efficient data storage features. The simple design makes it adaptable to all sectors and industries. The tool supports Windows 10 and Windows 11. The utility tool holds the distinction of being the only Unicode-supporting software.
- Uses high-power compression with multiple in-built features for organizing the files
- Works faster and saves on storage area, money, and time
- Works with multiple setups like ZIP, RAR, ISO, ARJ, CAB, and more
- Works on multimedia files and object collections
- Uses 256 -bit data protection
- Has a 40-day free trial period
Price: $29 +$4.35 (maintenance)
SharePoint boosts teamwork by enabling easy access to info and unified partnership across an organization. The utility software shares and controls info, applications, and facts. It uses productive and active team sites for seamless sharing of info among crews in an organization. Customization features ensure the work of all team members is streamlined. It works across multiple devices like mobile phones, Macs, and PCs.
- Helps in simple allocation and partnership among groups in an organization
- Boosts efficiency in the workplace via sharing common processes and info
- Manages data, valuable links, and real-time Yammer conversations, which ensures better knowledge sharing
- Improves productivity by making all official procedures from individual tasks to complicated plans efficient
- Shares documents in the cloud
- Collaborates via Office apps and connects via calendar and email
Price: Plan 1: $5 per user /month, Plan 2: $10 per user/month, Office 365 E3: $23 user/month
OnlyOffice has over 7,000,000 customers globally. Small plus medium productions, developers, nonprofits, etc. utilize it prevalently. It promises a secure process for collaboration as well as editing. There are separate OnlyOffice programs for Android, iOS, desktop, and workspace. The docs edition includes cloud, developer, and enterprise editions.
- Comprises document, spreadsheet, presentation, and form editors
- Is compatible with MS Office formats
- Integrates easily with ready-to-use connectors
- Has WOPI support
- Uses a well-documented API
- Has workspace products that comprise documents, mail, CRM, projects, and calendar management
- Has improved security features like private rooms and LDAP
- Complies with global security standards
- Cloud service is free for personal and startup plans
- Business plans cost $5 per month
- Enterprise edition: $149 for individuals and from $1200 for office
- Developer edition: $1950 for individuals and $9100 for production
- Server Enterprise: $2200 to $4450
For a secure online presence, the use of antivirus software is vital. Avast is a free antivirus program used by millions of people worldwide. This utility software is constantly updated so it works against new and emerging threats effectively. It has been in use for more than three decades.
- Provides six security layers
- Identifies vulnerabilities and scrutinizes suspicious files in the cloud
- Scans files, apps, and software in the system and sends threat alerts
- Is simple to install; once set up, it works 24/7 protecting against malware and viruses
- Offers Wi-Fi network security, including unsecured public networks
- Identifies and prevents intruders of a home Wi-Fi in a single click
- Protects all personal info of the user, including files, photos, docs, and more
Norton protects against viruses, malware, and other cyber security attacks. It safeguards users’ devices and online presence meticulously. The Norton Plus software tool protects one Mac or PC from online and offline threats in real time.
- Uses multiple layers of sophisticated security tech, like smart firewalls
- Helps users create, store, and sync the passwords used across devices with the password manager feature
- Helps in the smooth and uninterrupted operation of the system by preventing malware from slowing the operation
- Blocks fake sites that steal passwords by helping users create unique and robust passwords
Price: $19.99 to $99.99 annual subscription
Created mainly for Windows users, Bitdefender is free antivirus software. It offers basic protection against common e-threats. This utility software is easy to set up and use. A free download option is present for Android and macOS devices.
- Protects from the latest online threats
- Offers web protection during browsing by preventing phishing attacks and fraud attempts
- Provides customized scans for enhanced security
- Has an intuitive user interface
- Offers a seamless gameplay experience
- Monitors the behavior of apps and takes immediate action on suspicious activities
- Identifies apps that can compromise the system and steal user data
- Identifies scam attempts during browsing and warns users when they visit shady websites
Free/Price: Basic version is free. Bitdefender Plus costs $19.99 per year.
Losing important files and images is a vexing problem that is best taken care of with an effective backup software tool like Carbonite. A damaged laptop, accidental deletion, liquid spills, theft of the device, and virus attacks are a few reasons for losing important info on a system. This backup utility software uses a powerful backup process and Webroot virus protection.
- Works 24/7 and updates all backups continuously
- Backs up all videos, photos, and files automatically with a single click
- Makes accessing backed-up info easy with the dedicated mobile app
- Covers laptops, desktops, servers, and external storage
- Safeguards all sensitive documents of a business
- Uses a web-based secure dashboard that provides access to the backed-up files
Price: Basic plan: $4.20 per month, Plus: $6 per month, Prime: $7.50 per month
EaseUS Todo is a free backup software that provides an efficient and quick backup solution. It has more than 20,000,000 users globally. Instant recovery, disk imaging, and safe backups are possible with this utility software. The user interface is simple but provides powerful features that help in an effective backup of data from the OS, partition, and disk drives. It saves the data in the cloud, network, local drives, and NAS.
- Provides differential and incremental backup
- Users can set the frequency of the backup
- Allows you to enable the image reserve feature
- Encrypts and schedules the backup
- Helps users in recovery with the bootable backup feature when the computer does not boot up due to a system crash, corrupted hardware, virus attacks, etc.
- Provides free cloud storage of a maximum of 250GB per user
- Has improved efficiency and simple backup management
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with free tech support
Free/Price: Basic plan is free. The home plan costs $39.95
Using the best tools is key to getting the best performance out of a computer. The different utility software tools listed above, including both free and paid products, ensure a stellar operation of the system without any hassle. Whether it is a small- or large-scale operation or an individual user, these tools help in improved functionality and productivity. So, download any utility software provided above in order to improve your system’s performance.